Friday, November 13, 2009

Can someone help me interpret this sonnet?

I think I may know what it's about, but just to be sure:





MY hungry eyes, through greedy covetize,


still to behold the object of their pain:


with no contentment can themselves suffice,


but having, pine, and having not, complain,


For lacking it, they cannot life sustain,


and seeing it, they gaze on it the more:


in their amazement like Narcissus vain


whose eyes him starv'd: so plenty makes me poor.


Yet are mine eyes so filled with the store


of that fair sight, that nothing else they brook:


but loath the things which they did like before,


and can no more endure on them to look.


All this world's glory seemeth vain to me,


and all their shows but shadows saving she.

Can someone help me interpret this sonnet?
Negative - always wanting what you can not have - hate what they once coveted and not want more things to hate!@
Reply:means greed


No comments:

Post a Comment