Saturday, November 14, 2009

Another what did Shakespeare mean question.?

Bondage is hoarse* and may not speak aloud,


Else would I tear the cave where Echo* lies


And make her airy tongue more hoarse than mine


With repition of "My Romeo!"





*Bondage is hoarse: being bound in by my family restricts my speech.


*Echo: In classical mythology, the nymph Echo,unable to win the love of Narcissus, wasted away in a cave until nothing was left of her but her voice.





-Thanks for your help in advance! BYE

Another what did Shakespeare mean question.?
Because of she is a Capulet, Juliet's love for Romeo is forbidden (her family name restricts her speech). So she cannot talk about it with anyone. But if she could, she would never be silent about how much she loved him.
Reply:It sounds like she is saying that she is going to repea "My Romeo" so many times that even Echo (her echo) will become hoarse.


No comments:

Post a Comment